MSVCR80.dll is a file that’s used by the Windows C Runtime Library – an important set of files and information which is used to help ensure that your computer can process the programs which it will be using to run. We’ve found that although this file is continually going to be used to help make your computer run smoothly, it’s often leading your computer to have errors and a lot of problems. In order to resolve this problem, it’s vital that you’re able to fix the various issues that it may have in the most effective way. This tutorial is going to show you how.
This error will typically show in this format:
This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found. Re-installing the application might fix the problem.
What Causes MSVCR80.dll Errors?
The errors you’re experiencing are going to be caused by the way in which this file cannot be read on your PC. This issue is going to be the result of having a large number of errors on your system, including the likes of Windows not being able to process the files which are required to help it operate. These errors will include:
- Your PC will be unable to read the msvcr80.dll file
- Windows will have errors with its registry database
- Your computer will not be able to read the settings required to help the file operate
How To Fix The MSVCR80.dll Errors On Your PC
Step 1 – Re-Install Any Software Causing Errors
The first step is to re-install any programs that will be showing the msvcr80.dll errors. It’s often the case that games will be unable to process this file correctly, and thus show the errors you’re experiencing. To fix this, you can follow these steps:
- Click onto “Start“
- Locate “Control Panel” & click it
- Click onto “Add / Remove Programs” (Win XP) or “Uninstall A Program” (Win 7)
- Click onto the game that’s causing problems
- Click “Remove“
- Follow the Uninstall Process
- Restart Your PC
- Re-Install The Program
This will remove the problematic application from your system, and will make sure that your computer is able to properly process the files that it will need to run. We’ve found that this will work for about 80% of systems with the msvcr80.dll error
Step 2 – Manually Replace MSVCR80.dll
Manually replacing the MSVCR80.dll file is probably be the best way to repair the error. You need to obtain a fresh copy of the dll file and register it onto your Windows system. Follow these steps to resolve the error:
- Download msvcr80.dll from the Internet
- Save the msvcr80.dll file onto your computer’s hard drive
- Browse to c:\Windows\System32
- Locate the current msvcr80.dll on your system
- Rename the current msvcr80.dll to msvcr80BACKUP.dll
- Copy & paste the new msvcr80.dll into C:\Windows\System32
- Click Start > Run (Or search ”run” on Vista & Win7)
- Type “cmd” in the box that appears
- Type “regsvr32 msvcr80.dll” on the black screen
- Press Enter
Step 3 – Clean Out Your PC With A Registry Cleaner
One of the big causes of msvcr80.dll errors is through the “registry” database of your computer. This is a large database which stores vital information & settings for your PC, and is used continually to help Windows to read the files, settings & options that it needs to run. Although the registry is one of the most important parts of every Windows system, it’s continually causing a large number of problems thanks to the way it will often become corrupted and unreadable. This is the cause behind many msvcr80.dll errors, and needs to be resolved by using a reliable “registry cleaner” application.
This step is best completed by downloading RegAce System Suite, and letting it clean out any of the problems that your system may have inside.