Fmod.dll Error Fix Tutorial
Fmod.dll is used by the “Firelight Technologies” company to help load up a number of important audio settings and options for games. This file belongs to the “FMOD” library, which is used by many of the leading entertainment programs available today. FMOD is an audio library that plays music files from diverse formats and on many different platforms. This program is an easy to use cross-platform audio engine often used in games and software application in order to provide audio functionality to your system. FMOD holds the fmod.dll module.
What Causes FMOD.dll Errors?
- Your PC will have problems reading the FMOD.dll file
- Windows will not be able to access the settings that it requires to run
- Your software will have a number of problems with the fmod.dll file
How To Fix The FMOD.dll Error
Step 1 – Re-Install Any Software Causing Errors
The first step is to re-install any programs that will be showing the fmod.dll errors. It’s often the case that games will be unable to process this file correctly, and thus show the errors you’re experiencing. To fix this, you can follow these steps:
- Click onto “Start“
- Locate “Control Panel” & click it
- Click onto “Add / Remove Programs” (Win XP) or “Uninstall A Program” (Win 7)
- Click onto the game that’s causing problems
- Click “Remove“
- Follow the Uninstall Process
- Restart Your PC
- Re-Install The Program
This will remove the problematic application from your system, and will make sure that your computer is able to properly process the files that it will need to run. We’ve found that this will work for about 80% of systems with the fmod.dll error
Step 2 – Manually Replace FMOD.dll
Manually replacing the fmod.dll file is probably be the best way to repair the error. You need to obtain a fresh copy of the dll file and register it onto your Windows system. Follow these steps to resolve the error:
- Download FMod.dll from the Internet
- Save the FMod.dll file onto your computer’s hard drive
- Browse to c:\Windows\System32
- Locate the current FMod.dll on your system
- Rename the current FMod.dll to FModBACKUP.dll
- Copy & paste the new FMod.dll into C:\Windows\System32
- Click Start > Run (Or search ”run” on Vista & Win7)
- Type “cmd” in the box that appears
- Type “regsvr32 FMod.dll” on the black screen
- Press Enter
Step 3 – Clean Out Your PC With A Registry Cleaner
One of the big causes of fmod.dll errors is through the “registry” database of your computer. This is a large database which stores vital information & settings for your PC, and is used continually to help Windows to read the files, settings & options that it needs to run. Although the registry is one of the most important parts of every Windows system, it’s continually causing a large number of problems thanks to the way it will often become corrupted and unreadable. This is the cause behind many fmod.dll errors, and needs to be resolved by using a reliable “registry cleaner” application.
This step is best completed by downloading RegAce System Suite, and letting it clean out any of the problems that your system may have inside.