How to Repair Msoe.dll Errors
The Msoe.dll file is one of the fundamental components of Microsoft Outlook Express. The Msoe.dll file is used primarily to help Outlook process the various email “headers” that tell it the likes of who sent the email message and what the subject line is. However, it’s often the case that this file will become damaged and corrupted, leading your computer to be unable to read it – causing the errors that you’re seeing now. You can fix msoe.dll errors very easily by using the tutorial on this page.
What Causes The Mose.dll Error?
The Msoe.dll file often causes errors which typically look like this:
- “Outlook Express could not be started because Msoe.dll could not be loaded”
This file is used heavily by Microsoft Outlook as a way to process various email header settings on your PC. However, since this file is used so much by your system, it’s continually being damaged and corrupted, leading to Outlook being unable to read the file. To fix this, you should fix the various registry settings that cause the error, virus infections and also change several registry settings that your computer requires to run.
How to fix the Msoe.dll Errors
Step 1 – Remove Windows Address Book
The Windows Address Book is normally the main culprit of the Msoe.dll error, and as a result, uninstalling this application from your PC should prevent any further errors from appearing. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Click Start > Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs
- Select Windows Startup tab
- Select the Address Book checkbox
- Press OK to reinstall the Address Book on your PC
- Restart your system
This will allow your computer to replace all the Windows Address Book files on your computer, of which Msoe.dll is one; allowing your PC to read all the files it needs & prevent the errors it has from appearing.
Step 2 – Reinstall Outlook Express On Your System
Warning – this will remove Outlook Express & all your data from it. You must first backup your contacts & messages from your PC
In order to avoid any conflicts between Outlook Express and your other programs (one of the main causes of the Msoe.dll error), you should first remove Outlook Express from your system. This can be done very easily by using the steps below:
- Open My Computer, click on “Tools” and select Folder Options from the tab
- Locate the options for:
Hide file extensions for known file
Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended)
- For each of the above, uncheck the tick-box
- Select Yes to confirm your decision
- Next, browse to the following locations on your hard drive:
– C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery
– C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Identities or C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities
– C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book or C: \Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Address Book
- Rename the following files in C:\Windows\System32:
This will basically change all the files that Outlook Express requires to run, allowing you to reinstall this application easily and quickly. This should replace Msoe.dll and allow your computer to run without showing any errors again.
Step 3 – Clean Out The Registry
It’s often the case that registry errors cause the msoe.dll.dll error to appear. The “registry” is a central database which stores all the settings, information and options for your computer, and is where Windows keeps a many vital settings that it requires to run. It’s often the case that a lot of registry settings become damaged and corrupted, leading your PC to take longer to run, making it run slower and with a lot of errors. To fix this problem, you should use a ‘registry cleaner’ to scan through your PC and fix any of the damaged or corrupt settings that are inside it. You can see our recommended registry cleaner below: