Steps To Fix The 1316 Error
The 1316 error originates from the installation of Office 2000 SR-1 full installation on a workstation where Microsoft Office is already installed. The error occurs because of conflict between the original Office installation, which used a file called data1.msi and the new Office 2000 SR-1 which also attempts to use the same file. Windows cannot differentiate between the two and this causes the 1316 error. To resolve this error, follow the steps in this tutorial.
What Causes Error 1316?
When trying to install Office 2000 SR-1, you may experience this error message:
Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file F:\data1.msi
As you can see, Windows cannot identify the correct data1.msi file that is needed for the installation. This may occur if the following are true:
- The current Office was installed using a CD-ROM that had the Data1.msi in the root folder of the CD. Data1.msi is the default file name that is used for the Office CD1 Windows Installer.
- The Office 2000 SR-1 installation is being done using a Select CD.
In select CD on the Office 2000 SR-1 installation, it does not use data1.msi, but uses a series of .msi files that correspond to the version of Office being installed, such as Setupprm.exe, which uses Data1prm.msi for premium edition. To solve this issue please continue and follow the steps below.
How To Fix Error 1316
Step 1 – Edit The Registry To Allow The Installation Of SR1
Editing the registry is very risky as it is the hub of the operating system where it has registered all the files needed for the operating system to run. Please follow the steps carefully to avoid damage to your operating system and to proof against any potential future errors and problems.
- Click Start > Run
- In the “Open” box type Regedit. Press Enter
- On the Edit menu, press Find
- In the Find what box, type Data1.msi and then click Find Next.
- In the results should be a string value called “Packagename”. If this is not the case repeat steps 1-4. If this is the case, then double click this value.
- In the Value data box, type the name of the .msi package that you are using on the Office 2000 SR-1 Select CD, and then click OK. For example, if you are trying to install the Premium edition, type Data1prm.msi.
- The PackageName string value is part of the SourceList key. Select the Media key that is a subkey of the SourceList key.
- Locate the string value “1”. Double click it
- In the Value data box, type Selo9cd01;1 and then click OK.
- Exit RegEdit and restart your pc
- Attempt to install Office 2000 SR-1 again from the select CD
If you have completed these steps correctly, it should now allow you to install Office 2000 SR-1 as the required files for the installation have been registered and Windows can now recognise them. However, if this is not the case, continue on to the next step.
Step 2 – Scan For Viruses
Viruses are a big problem for Windows, as they continually cause a variety of problems for your PC. One of the biggest causes of the Error 1316 error is the way in which many viruses tend to infect the core program files that Windows requires to run. This causes the files to become unreadable, leading Windows to be unable to process the commands you need, leading to it showing the error. To ensure this is not a problem, you need to be able to clean out all the virus infections that your system might have with a virus scanner. Our recommended virus scanner is a program called XoftSpy
Step 3 – Clean Out The Registry
Registry cleaners can play a very important role in how well Windows operates, and can help stop the 1316 error. The registry is basically a central database which stores vital settings and information for your system, allowing Windows to remember a huge number of details for your PC. Unfortunately, the registry is also prone to becoming corrupt, leaving your system running extremely slowly and unreliably. To fix this problem, you should use a ‘registry cleaner’ to scan through your registry and repair any of the damaged parts of it that are causing your computer to run extremely slowly or with errors. You can download our recommended