Steps To Repair The Winhttp.dll Error
Winhttp.dll is a file which is related to the Hyper Text Transfer Protocol, which is used to transfer files of data such as web pages or web services across the internet, as well as other networks. This file is an essential part of any network and internet process, however a lot of people have been on the internet and have found that they cannot load web pages correctly or fully access the internet.
What Causes The Winhttp.dll Error
Usually an error like this with substantial consequences like this would be caused by either one of the following:
- The Winhttp.dll file is damaged or corrupt
- Windows settings have been changed
- Problems with the network
How To Fix The Winhttp.dll Error
Step 1 – Manually Replace The Winhttp.dll File
If the Winhttp.dll file is actually causing the error then it is recommended that you manually replace the file. To do this follow the instructions below:
- Download Winhttp.dll from the Internet
- Save the Winhttp.dll file onto your computer’s hard drive
- Browse to c:\Windows\System32
- Locate the current Winhttp.dll on your system
- Rename the current Winhttp.dll to WinhttpBACKUP.dll
- Copy & paste the new Winhttp.dll into C:\Windows\System32
- Click Start > Run (Or search ”run” on Vista & Win7)
- Type “cmd” in the box that appears
- Type “regsvr32 Winhttp.dll” on the black screen
- Press Enter
Step 2 – Reset Your Network Connection
Because this file is related to your network connection and your internet it is recommended that you reset your network connection because it could be that some files and settings have changed and need to be changed back.
Step 3 – Clean Out The Registry
One of the big causes of Winhttp.dll errors is through the “registry” database of your computer. This is a large database which stores vital information & settings for your PC, and is used continually to help Windows to read the files, settings & options that it needs to run. Although the registry is one of the most important parts of every Windows system, it’s continually causing a large number of problems thanks to the way it will often become corrupted and unreadable. This is the cause behind many Winhttp.dll errors, and needs to be resolved by using a reliable “registry cleaner” application.
This step is best completed by downloading RegAce System Suite, and letting it clean out any of the problems that your system may have inside.