How To Fix Error 1068
The 1068 error is related to the “INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING WIZARD” on Windows XP. It occurs when one of its dependencies (the services required for it to work) fail to load. Error 1608 normally appears when using any remote connectivity features inside the XP system and can be fixed by using the method described in this article…
What Causes Error 1068?
The error 1068 usually shows itself as:
An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. The dependency service or group failed to start.
1068: Dependency service or group failed to start.
This error normally exists when you run the Internet Connection Sharing Wizard. This problem can easily be solved by following the steps below.
How To Fix Error 1068
Step 1 – Start “Dependent Services”
As mentioned before, the reason why this error appears is because of dependent services failing to load. These services can be loaded manually by the following steps:
- Click Start > Help and Support
- Go to “Pick a Task” and choose “Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems“
- In “Tools“, click “System Configuration Utility“
- On the right pane there will be an option to “Open System Configuration Utility“.
- Within the System Configuration Utility, click the “Services” tab.
- Make sure the following services are active. To turn a service on, click to select the check box:
- Application Layer Gateway Service
- Network Connections
- Network Location Awareness (NLA)
- Plug and Play
- Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
- Remote Access Connection Manager
- Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
After you have carried out these changes, make sure to restart your computer and start Internet Connection Sharing Wizard as you would normally. Error 1068 should have disappeared if you followed this method correctly. If the problem continues to persist, please go on to Step 2.
Step 2 – Clean Out The Registry
The registry is a central database that Windows uses to store all the settings and information your computer requires to run. Every time you use your PC, it needs to read 100’s of registry settings to enable to recall so many vital settings and pieces of information. However, it’s often the case that many registry settings will become damaged and corrupted, leading your PC to run slowly and with a lot of errors (including the 1068 error). To make sure that there are not registry errors causing a problem for your computer, you need to be able to use a registry cleaner to fix all the potentially damaging registry settings inside your system, and you can do that with out recommended registry cleaner below: