How To Fix The Winmm.dll error
The Winmm.dll is a file which is directly related to the Windows Multimedia API. This particular module contains low-level audio and joystick functions. However a lot of people have experienced a number of errors which relate back to the Winmm.dll file, and in order for the Windows Multimedia API to work properly this file is needed.
What Causes The Winmm.dll Error
An error like this is usually caused by either one of the following:
- Registry keys have been changed
- Windows settings have been damaged
- Windows Multimedia API files have been corrupted
How To Fix The Winmm.dll Error
Step 1 – Manually Replace The Winmm.dll File
It is recommended that you manually replace this file because there is a good chance that it has been damaged or infected. To manually replace the file, follow the instructions below:
- Download Winmm.dll from the Internet
- Save the Winmm.dll file onto your computer’s hard drive
- Browse to c:\Windows\System32
- Locate the current Winmm.dll on your system
- Rename the current Winmm.dll to WinmmBACKUP.dll
- Copy & paste the new Winmm.dll into C:\Windows\System32
- Click Start > Run (Or search ”run” on Vista & Win7)
- Type “cmd” in the box that appears
- Type “regsvr32 Winmm.dll” on the black screen
- Press Enter
Step 2 – Clean Out The Registry
One of the big causes of Winmm.dll errors is through the “registry” database of your computer. This is a large database which stores vital information & settings for your PC, and is used continually to help Windows to read the files, settings & options that it needs to run. Although the registry is one of the most important parts of every Windows system, it’s continually causing a large number of problems thanks to the way it will often become corrupted and unreadable. This is the cause behind many Winmm.dll errors, and needs to be resolved by using a reliable “registry cleaner” application.
This step is best completed by downloading RegAce System Suite, and letting it clean out any of the problems that your system may have inside.