How To Repair The Winsock.dll Error
Winsock.dll is a file which is a technical specification that defines how Windows network software should access network services, especially the TCP/IP layer of the network. There has been a lot of speculation surrounding this particular file as there have been many claims that people have experienced and error and have seen details regarding the Winsock.dll file.
What Causes The Winsock.dll Error
Usually an error like this would be caused by either one of the following:
- Registry keys have been damaged
- Windows files and settings have been changd
- Transfer Layer of your network is damaged
- Winsock.dll file has been corrupt
How To Fix The Winsock.dll Error
Step 1 – Manually Replace The Winsock.dll File
Because there is a good chance the actual Winsock.dll file has been damaged then it is recommended that you manually replace the file. To do this follow the instructions below:
- Download Winsock.dll from the Internet
- Save the Winsock.dll file onto your computer’s hard drive
- Browse to c:\Windows\System32
- Locate the current Winsock.dll on your system
- Rename the current Winsock.dll to WinsockBACKUP.dll
- Copy & paste the new Winsock.dll into C:\Windows\System32
- Click Start > Run (Or search ”run” on Vista & Win7)
- Type “cmd” in the box that appears
- Type “regsvr32 Winsock.dll” on the black screen
- Press Enter
Step 2 – Reset Your Network Connection
The Winsock.dll file basically shows how the Windows network software should access the network services in the Transport layer of your network there is a good chance that there is something wrong with this particular layer of your network, so it is recommended that you reset your connection.
Step 3 – Clean Out The Registry
One of the big causes of Winsock.dll errors is through the “registry” database of your computer. This is a large database which stores vital information & settings for your PC, and is used continually to help Windows to read the files, settings & options that it needs to run. Although the registry is one of the most important parts of every Windows system, it’s continually causing a large number of problems thanks to the way it will often become corrupted and unreadable. This is the cause behind many Winsock.dll errors, and needs to be resolved by using a reliable “registry cleaner” application.
This step is best completed by downloading RegAce System Suite, and letting it clean out any of the problems that your system may have inside.