Repair Tutorial For Xvid.dll Error
Xvid videos are played in Microsoft Windows through the xvid.dll module. This is a codec for Xvid videos which means they can be played in different media players, such as Windows Media Player or Winamp. Xvid is a video codec library in the MPEG-4 format and is primary competitor to DivX video codecs. Xvid is very popular as, due to being free software, the program is open source allowing people to program it for different platforms.
What Causes the Xvid.dll Error?
As is usually the case with .dll errors, the presiding factors causing them are:
- Windows settings have changed
- Registry keys have been deleted
- Specific files have been moved and placed somewhere else
How To Fix the Xvid.dll Error
Step 1 – Manually Replace The Xvid.dll File
Replacing the file makes sure that, if accidently deleted or if corrupt, a new fresh file can takes it place and this should encourage it to work with less faults. To do this:
- Download Xvid.dll from the Internet
- Save the Xvid.dll file onto your computer’s hard drive
- Browse to c:\Windows\System32
- Locate the current Xvid.dll on your system
- Rename the current Xvid.dll to XvidBACKUP.dll
- Copy & paste the new Xvid.dll into C:\Windows\System32
- Click Start > Run (Or search ”run” on Vista & Win7)
- Type “cmd” in the box that appears
- Type “regsvr32 Xvid.dll” on the black screen
- Press Enter
Step 2 – Update Windows
Downloading the latest updates will prevent these sort of .dll errors from arising. To download Windows updates manually:
- Click Start
- All Programs
- Windows Update
- Follow the wizard and install all updates
- Restart your computer
Step 3 – Clean Out The Registry
One of the big causes of Xvid.dll errors is through the “registry” database of your computer. This is a large database which stores vital information & settings for your PC, and is used continually to help Windows to read the files, settings & options that it needs to run. Although the registry is one of the most important parts of every Windows system, it’s continually causing a large number of problems thanks to the way it will often become corrupted and unreadable. This is the cause behind many Xvid.dll errors, and needs to be resolved by using a reliable “registry cleaner” application.
This step is best completed by downloading RegAce System Suite, and letting it clean out any of the problems that your system may have inside.