Resolution Steps For Atapi.sys Errors On A windows PC
Atapi.sys is a Windows system file that can be found in the path “C:\Windows\System32\drivers”. It poses no serious danger or threat to your PC and is more of less invisible. As this file is used in Windows’ storage system, it is essential to your PC’s operations and should never be removed. This does cause problems however, when certain rogue applications such as the rootkit virus enter your system and cause the atapi.sys file to generate errors.
What causes The Atapai.sys Error?
This atapi.sys error would be typically shown in this format:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\atapi (Rootkit) -> No action taken.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\atapi (Rootkit) -> No action taken.
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi (Rootkit) -> No action taken.
An established virus program that attaches itself to your system’s C drive is known to cause the atapi.sys error. Known as the rootkit virus, it is a Trojan Horse type malicious infection. The basic method of fixing atapi.sys errors involves removing this virus. This tutorial will teach you the various ways on how to do this.
How To Fix Atapi.sys Errors
Step 1 – Clean Out Your PC With MalwareBytes
The best current program available to use when faced with this error is MalwareBytes. This is a specially designed tool which can be easily downloaded from the internet, and is geared to deal with infections like the rootkit virus. Once you run this tool, your system will be free of viruses in no time.
- Download MalwareBytes from http://www.malwarebytes.org
- After installing the program, run it. Afterwards, the Malwarebytes’s main window will be displayed on your screen.
- From a list of tabs that will be shown, choose the Update button. Next, select the Check for Updates option.
- Next click on the OK tab and then select the Scanner button.
- Click on the Scan tab. Take note that the quick scan takes around 15-30 minutes while the full scan take about 2 hours.
- Next select Show Results to see the list of all possible infections that Malwarebytes has detected
- Select the virus and click the Remove Selected tab.
- Follow rebooting instructions to rid of the remaining infected entries in your system.
Once this has been done, you can check to see if your PC still returns error messages or not.
Step 2 – Clean Out Your PC With Hitman Pro
Another effective application that you can use to delete the rootkit virus and address the atapi.sys error is the Hitman Pro. Like Malwarebytes, this tool has been specially created to deal with this kind of threat.
- Download Hitman Pro from the Internet (http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro)
- Start the application on your PC
- Next select the Next button
- On the main menu, choose the Default Scan option
- Confirm the EULA that will displayed on the next page
- Choose the Next option, after which Hitman Pro will begin scanning your PC.
- After Hitman Pro has completed scanning your system, restart your computer to remove all viruses that the program has detected.
Step 3 – Clean Out The Registry
It has been determined that close to 90% of computer problems can be traced to the registry. This section of your computer contains thousands of files and keeps increasing in size each day. Whenever you visit Websites, install applications, or perform just about any kind computer activity, data will be inputted and stored in your registry. Windows, for its part, will store the vital settings and files in this sector, which it will retrieve whenever it is asked to load an application or program. However if you analyze the entries in your registry, much of it is redundant material.
Your computer would be much better off without many of these ‘junk’ files. These files serve only to pile up and consume valuable space, which slows the speed of your computer. When you have a slow computer, errors such as atapi.sys errors are likely to surface. To clean out your registry of useless files and settings, you need to use a registry cleaner, which is an application specially designed for this purpose.