This error usually arises when the ietutil.dll file cannot be located. This file is critical in the operation of Internet Explorer, and without it IE cannot operate and so displays this error. If you receive one of these messages whilst attempting to operate Internet Explorer, it could well be that you are experiencing the iertutil.dll error.
What Causes iertutil.dll Errors?
This error is usually caused by the iertutil.dll being missing or corrupt. Whilst the most common reason is that the file is missing, if the file is corrupt it can still have the same effect as IE cannot read the file and so presumes that the file is missing. The problems you may experiencing are:
- “iertutil.dll Not Found”
- “This application failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.”
- “Cannot find C:\Windows\system32\iertutil.dll”
- “The file iertutil.dll is missing.”
- “Cannot start Windows® Internet Explorer. A required component is missing: iertutil.dll. Please install the application again.”
Fixing this issue is typically very easy, as there are a few workarounds. One way is to place the iertutil.dll file into the Windows/System32 directory so that Internet Explorer can read it. Another way would be to manually replace the iertutil.dll file with a new one in case it became corrupted. Finally, you could use a registry cleaner to clean the registry and clean out any corrupt or faulty entries.
How To Fix iertutil.dll Errors
Step 1 – Place The iertutil.dll File Into C:/Windows/System32
It could well be that the original iertutil.dll file that Internet Explorer used has been misplaced to a different part of the system. To resolve this, the user should:
- Click Start > Search > type “iertutil.dll”
- Make sure “All Files and Folders” option is selected
- Once you have found a trace, copy the file
- Go to C:\Windows\System 32
- Paste the file into here
You should then attempt to run Internet Explorer again to ascertain whether this has solved the issue. If it hasn’t, please move on to step 2
Step 2 – Manually Replace iertutil.dll On Your System
Replacing the odbc32.dll file is probably the surest way to get your system running as smoothly as possible again. You can do this very easily by following the guide below:
2) Unzip the iertutil.dll file onto your computer’s hard drive
3) Browse to c:\Windows\System32
4) Locate the current iertutil.dll on your system
5) Rename the current iertutil.dll to iertutilBACKUP.dll
6) Copy & paste the new iertutil.dll into C:\Windows\System32
7) Click Start > Run (Or search”run” on Vista & Win7)
8 ) Type “cmd” in the box that appears
9) Type “regsvr32 iertutil.dll” on the black screen
10) Press enter
This will replace the iertutil.dll file on your PC with a fresh, new copy that your PC should be able to access again. However, if this does not solve the error, you may wish to try using Step 3 below:
Step 3 – Clean Out The Registry
One of the big causes of the iertutil.dll error is the way in which there are a series of mis-matches inside the registry of your system. The registry is a central database which stores all the files, settings and options that Windows uses to run. Although this part of your computer is one of the most important, it’s also a big cause of errors because of the way that Windows will often corrupt it.
Not many people realize this, but the registry will continually cause a large number of DLL errors because of the way in which your computer uses a large list of DLL files to help it run. Each time you use your PC, 100’s of DLL files are being loaded with help from the registry database. If this database gets corrupted / damaged, it leads to your system showing errors like the one you’re seeing, making it highly recommended that you repair any problems inside the registry. This can be done by download a registry cleaner tool from our website.