How To Fix ActxPrxy.dll Errors
ActxPrxy.dll is used by Windows to help control the “ActiveX” components of your system. This file basically helps Interent Explorer to render a lot of the common commands that websites will launch, such as the “Email function”. It is not a security risk, however this file often causes errors on your system if it is either corrupted or removed, as your PC is unable to read the file when it requires it to run.
What Causes The ActxPrxy.dll Error?
ActxPrxy.dll errors will typically show as:
- “actxprxy.dll Not Found”
- “This application failed to start because actxprxy.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.”
- “Cannot find actxprxy.dll“
- “The file actxprxy.dll is missing.”
- “Cannot start Windows ActiveX. A required component is missing: actxprxy.dll. Please install the application again.”
All these errors arise as a result of being unable to use the actxprxy.dll file because it is corrupt or missing. Internet Explorer is especially prone to corrupting this file, so if you do use IE a lot, this is the likely reason why it’s damaged & showing an error.
This file is used whenever your PC wants to use an ActiveX control, which is nearly all the time on your system. If you are seeing errors which state that ActxPrxy.dll is the cause of the problem, it’s recommended that you first update Windows, then replace the file on your PC, and finally clean out any registy errors which may be contributing to the errors.
How To Fix actxprxy.dll Errors
Step 1 – Update Windows
Since the file in question is a very important system file, updating Windows will provide a newer, more stable file that should prevent these errors from arising. To update Windows, you should:
- Click Start > All Programs > Windows Update
- On the left side, click “Check for Updates“
- This will check Microsoft for the latest updates for your operating system.
- You should install all available updates
Once this has completed, click to install the updates (you may need to restart your PC to complete this process). If Microsoft have an updated actxprxy.dll file available, the update process will replace it on your PC. If you do update, this means that you are receiving a newer, safer and less erroneous file. If Microsoft have not provided a newer update for you, or this did not work, carry on to the next step.
Step 2 – Manually Replace actxprxy.dll On Your System
Replacing the actxprxy.dll file is probably the surest way to get your system running as smoothly as possible again. You can do this very easily by following the guide below:
1) Download actxprxy.zip from our server
2) Unzip the actxprxy.dll file onto your computer’s hard drive
3) Browse to c:\Windows\System32
4) Locate the current actxprxy.dll on your system
5) Rename the current actxprxy.dll to actxprxyBACKUP.dll
6) Copy & paste the new actxprxy.dll into C:\Windows\System32
7) Click Start > Run (Or search”run” on Vista & Win7)
8 ) Type “cmd” in the box that appears
9) Type “regsvr32 actxprxy.dll” on the black screen
10) Press enter
This will replace the actxprxy.dll file on your PC with a fresh, new copy that your PC should be able to access again. However, if this does not solve the error, you may wish to try using Steps 3 and 4 below:
Step 3 – Clean Out Viruses
Antivirus programs are software tools which scan through your PC and remove any of the viruses or malware infections that are on your system. It’s often the case that viruses will infect various DLL files on your computer and then cause them to be unreadable to your PC. To ensure this is not happening on your computer, you should try using an antivirus program to scan through your system and remove any of the infections that cause all these errors. You can download our recommended antivirus program from the link above, but there are a large variety of programs available.
Step 4 – Clean Out The Registry
Another big cause of the actxprxy.dll errors is the registry database of Windows. The “registry” is a central database which stores all the settings, information and options for your computer, and is where Windows keeps many vital settings that it requires to run. It’s often the case that a lot of registry settings become damaged and corrupted, leading your PC to take longer to run, making it run slower and with a lot of errors. To fix this problem, you should use a ‘registry cleaner’ to scan through your PC and fix any of the damaged or corrupt settings that are inside it. You can see our recommended registry cleaner below: