How To Fix The 0x80040702 Error
The 0x80040702 error is a very common issue for most versions of Windows. Fortunately, it’s very easy to fix if you can understand what the problem is with this error and how it should be able to fix your system. Here’s what to do….
What Is The 0x80040702 Error?
The 0x80040702 error is generally seen when you wish to install new software programs on your PC. Games and more resource-intensive software installations produce this error and in order to fix the problem, you need to know what causes it and what each version of the error means.
The causes of this error are as follows:
- The installer is unable to locate one or more of the files it needs to complete the installation
- Outdated or left-over entries from previous versions of the software are left on your system and cannot be overwritten
- Viruses and other malware could be corrupting vital files that your installation needs
- Your PC has a corrupt ‘registry’ database.
In order to fix this error, there are certain steps you must take. Here’s what you need to do:
Steps To Fix The 0x80040702 Error
Step 1 – Replace Missing DLL Files
It’s often the case that Windows will be unable to read the files it needs to run the installation for your PC, and will just throw up the 0x80040702 error because it cannot find many DLL files. Fortunately, you can fix this pretty easily:
1) Note down the DLL file that your computer is missing
2) Click Start and then on Search
3) Search for the filename that’s missing. If a file appears, copy it into the c:\Windows\System32 folder
4) If there are no results, then click on Dll-Files.com and search for the file that’s missing
5) Download the DLL file from Dll-Files.com and then place it in the c:\Windows\System32 folder
6) Start the intallation again
This should solve the problem but if it does not, then proceed to steps 2, 3 & 4:
Step 2 – Clean Out Leftover Entries
If you are getting the error from trying to reinstall or modify an installation, then you might need to clean out any leftover entries from previous installs. This is a problem which is actually very easy to fix:
1) Scan through the registry with this registry cleaner to remove any leftover settings
2) Click on Start > My Computer
3) Browse to C:\Program Files\<Program Name> & Delete all the files
4) Restart your PC
5) Restart the installation
This will help your computer to run smoother and install the program you need, without having any problems from leftover files from a previous installation. Sometimes, uninstalling a program can leave files which have certain permission settings, etc. This will remedy that problem… but if it does not work, then you should proceed to step 3:
Step 3 – Clean Out All The Viruses On Your PC
– Download This Antivirus Program
Getting viruses is a big deal for any computer, and is one of the primary causes of the 0x80040702 error. These generally infect various files that your installation program needs to run, causing it to display this error on your system. Fortunately, it’s very easy to fix this problem – you just need to use a reliable antivirus tool. If you download the tool we recommend, you will be able to let it clean out your PC and then remove any of the viruses that are inside your system. This will make your PC run more reliably and effectively, as well as allowing your installation program to work as well.
Step 4 – Clean Out The Registry
– Download This Registry Cleaner
The registry is a central storage facility for all the software & settings on your system. Not only does it keep information ranging from your latest emails to your desktop wallpaper, but it also has a lot of important data about your software as well. It’s often the case that many registry settings are corrupted and damaged by your computer, which makes them unable to be read. You should use a ‘registry cleaner’ to scan through this database and fix all the errors that are inside your system. You can see our recommended cleaner below: