Ways To Fix Slbcsp.dll Errors When Trying To Install On Your PC
Slbcsp.dll is a file used by the Windows Installation protocol to help it place all the files and settings that various applications require onto your system. Unfortunately, this file and Sccbase.dll often cause problems with various installers on your PC, including the installation setup for HP Printer drivers. This tutorial is going to show you how to fix these errors…
What Is The Slbcsp.dll Error & What Causes It?
The slbcsp.dll error is caused by your computer being unable to read the file and settings that slbcsp.dll requires to run. In order to fix this, you need to be able to fix the various problems that are preventing the slbcsp.dll file from working. The most common causes of this error include the likes of registry errors, virus infections and general corrupt files.
The error that slbcsp.dll often shows is this:
“Issues stopping installation:
This is a Cryptographic Service Provider manufactured by Microsoft.
This is a SICRYPT Base Smart Card CSP manufactured by Microsoft.
These registry keys do not exist and are required for installation to continue. Please ensure that the registry keys exist and click Retry to continue installation.”
How To Fix The Slbcsp.dll Errors On Your PC
Step 1 – Make Sure There Is Only 1 Copy Of Slbcsp.dll & Sccbase.dll
In the C:\Windows\System32 folder, there should only be one copy of slbcsp.dll and sccbase.dll. In order to ensure that this is not a problem, you should first browse to this folder on your system and make sure there is only one copy of each file. If there is any more than one copy of each, then you should make sure that you rename one of them to make it so that there’s only a single copy. Windows can often become confused if there are two copies of the file in the same folder of your PC.
Step 2 – Create Two Registry Keys
In order to get these files working again (and to prevent the error), you need to create two registry keys. To do this, you should follow the tutorial below:
- Browse to C:\Windows\
- Click “RegEdit.exe”.
- Locate the following registry setting:
- Select the Provider key.
- Next, click the Edit menu in the Registry Editor window, select New and then click Key.
- Name the new Key as Schlumberger Cryptographic Service Provider.
- Repeat the steps 4 and 5. This time name the new key as Infineon SICRYPT Base Smart Card CSP.
- Next, select the first key you created, that is Schlumberger Cryptographic Service Provider.
- Now, right-click on an empty area on the right-pane of Registry Editor window, select New, and then click String Value.
- Right-click on the new string value you created, click Rename and then rename the value to Image Path.
- Now, right-click the string value, Image Path, click Modify, and in the box under Value data write C:\WINDOWS\system32\slbcsp.dll.
- Click OK.
- Next, select the Infineon SICRYPT Base Smart Card CSP key.
- Repeat the step 9 and 10.
- Next, right-click the string value, Image Path, click Modify and in the box underValue data write C:\WINDOWS\system32\sccbase.dll.
- Click OK.
- Again, select the Schlumberger Cryptographic Service Provider Key.
- Right-click on an empty area in the right-pane of the Registry Editor window, select New, and then click DWORD value and rename it to SigInFile.
- Again, right-click on an empty area in the right-pane, select New, and then click DWORD value and rename the value as Type.
- Next, right-click on the value Type, select Modify, and in the box under Value data, type 1. You may select Base as either Hexadecimal or Decimal.
- Click OK.
- Next, select the Infineon SICRYPT Base Smart Card CSP key in the left-pane of Registry Editor window.
- Repeat the steps 18, 19, and 20.
- Click OK.
Step 3 – Clean Out Viruses
Antivirus programs are software tools which scan through your PC and remove any of the viruses or malware infections that are on your system. It’s often the case that viruses will infect various DLL files on your computer and then cause them to be unreadable to your PC. To ensure this is not happening on your computer, you should try using an antivirus program to scan through your system and remove any of the infections that cause all these errors. You can download our recommended antivirus program from the link above, but there are a large variety of programs available.
Step 4 – Clean Out The Registry
It’s often the case that registry errors cause the slbcsp.dll error to appear. The “registry” is a central database which stores all the settings, information and options for your computer, and is where Windows keeps a many vital settings that it requires to run. It’s often the case that a lot of registry settings become damaged and corrupted, leading your PC to take longer to run, making it run slower and with a lot of errors. To fix this problem, you should use a ‘registry cleaner’ to scan through your PC and fix any of the damaged or corrupt settings that are inside it. You can see our recommended registry cleaner below: