Windows Error 1714 Fix Tutorial
The 1714 error is a problem that’s caused by Windows Installer, preventing your PC from being able to access the files or settings which it requires to operate correctly. The problem with this error is that your computer will be unable to correctly identify the settings / options which it needs to perform the installation. This can either be the result of your software not being installed properly, or having some sort of errors that prevent Windows from running the installer correctly.
The error will normally show in this format:
Error 1714. Setup cannot remove the older version of Product Name. Contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance.
What Causes Error 1714?
The errors you’re seeing will be caused by these problems:
- An earlier version of the Office program is installed on the computer.
- This earlier version cannot be uninstalled by the 2007 Office program installation program or by the Office 2010 program installation program.
How To Fix Windows Error 1714
Step 1 – Remove The Current Version Of The Software
To work around this issue, use the Add or Remove Programs feature in Control Panel to uninstall the earlier version of the software. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl, and then click OK.
- In the Currently installed programs list, click the Office program that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
- In the Add or Remove Programs dialog box, click Yes.
After the earlier version of the Office program is uninstalled, install the application you want to use again.
Step 2 – Use The “Windows Installer Cleanup Utility”
The next step is to use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to make sure that your system is able to use Windows Installer correctly. To do this, you can use the steps outlined below:
- Download Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
- Let The Program Run
- Clean Out Any Of The Problems It Finds
- Allow Windows To Attempt The Installation Again
Step 3 – Clean Out The Registry Of Your PC
The registry is going to be a huge cause of problems for the 1714 error, as this part of your PC is where all the important settings that Windows requires to run. If you’re experiencing problems with Windows, the fact is that the registry is probably to blame in some degree. Fortunately, fixing this part of your system is very simple – by downloading a program called RegAce System Suite 2.0. This will fix any of the errors that will be causing the 1714 error to show, ensuring that your system is able to run as smoothly as possible again.